Tuesday 20 October 2015

Viewing Log: Persepolis

Persepolis (2007) is an animated film based on the autobiographical graphic novel of Marjane Satrapi. It is focused on Satrapi as a child who grows up following the Iranian Revolution. This topic is relevant to the brief as it follows a historical and political event. It tackles the hard issue of war by using humour and a child as a protagonist. The film was nominated for an Academy Award. The use of a minimalist style makes the audience focus more on the storyline.


I'm inspired by the use of silhouettes that are frequently used throughout the film. It shows just enough detail so that the audience are aware of what's happening but the silhouettes create a dramatic sense of enigma. I could use a similar effect in my own piece when trying to animate the protesters in the Black Lives Matter campaigns.


I thought the use of vignettes were quite cool. A similar technique was used in Everything Will Be Okay.



I am fond of the use of plain backgrounds as I think it makes the characters stand out more. Moreover, I think this style wouldn't be too difficult to replicate (as I'm someone with not much experience with animation). I also think this style works well since the simplicity emphasises the bleak like the world they live in.


I like that it uses a non-traditional animation style, that isn't a replica of real life. Another feature I found inspiring was the use of transitions such as wipes. I think these would be useful to use in my own piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment