Thursday 24 September 2015

Brainstorm

Brief: ‘Cause and Effect’
Select a historical political or economic event and investigate its cause and effect. Devise an animated story that tells of the 'human impact' that your chosen event has had
Guidelines:
  • Whichever event you choose, you must research your subject area thoroughly, examining relevant historical and contemporary aspects relating to your chosen theme
  • Try to choose an event related to something you care about – as more personal engagement may lead to a stronger project
  • Avoid illustrating events that have been very extensively reported or are obvious; for example the events of 9/11
  • It is very import that you take an ethical approach to representation
  • You are required to follow the brief, as your ability to remain focused, planning and executing tasks in relation to the themes set will be considered as part of the assessment



I made a brainstorm to think of ideas relating to the brief:-

One of the ideas I thought of was based on the London Riots in 2011. This was a political/historical event that I found quite shocking as I am from London. It would be quite interesting to analyse it's cause and effect. From what I know, the riots began after the young, unarmed, black man, Mark Duggan, was killed by the police. I remember at the time of the event I was really angry at the situation because I don't think that anyone deserves to be killed. Needless to say, many others were angry too, thus leading to the start of the riots. 

Another idea I have is to look into the Black Lives Matter movement that is mainly based in America at the moment. I believe this started in a similar way to the London Riots, as it began after Trayvon Martin was killed. Many were outraged that his murderer was never charged for his crime. 

Both of the ideas I have are quite similar as they both involve racial injustice and apparent institutional misconduct. They both involve a human impact, since both events feature the public's reaction through protesting and rioting. I think that the subject around Black Lives Matter may be stronger to investigate as there are more cases to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment