Saturday 26 September 2015

Black Lives Matter Research

'Black Lives Matter' is an activist movement that began in the US around 2013. The cause of its beginning was the murder of black teenage Trayvon Martin. Many were outraged by the fact that his murderer, George Zimmerman, was acquitted of his charges. This lead many to believe that black lives didn't matter to the justice system as they were allowed to be murdered without any consequences. The movement campaigns against police brutality and institutional racism and injustice. Further flame was added to the fire following the killings of Michael Brown and Eric Garner (who were both murdered by police officers and those police officers were not charged).

This is a subject matter that I care about a lot as I find it both interesting and easy to relate to. An issue I have with this topic is that it can be quite depressing which may be difficult to represent within an animation in a softer tone. The video below is quite light-hearted but still addresses the subject matter. I like the simple style of animation. In my own work I would perhaps provide a bit more information about what has happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment